Follow

Sorry to say, but this site has been so depressing for a few days. I thought I'd ask an average, everyday question....to make us all feel a little more normal today.

I made Eggplant Lasagna, and my BIL and SIL are coming for dinner. They leave for Cali tomorrow to see their beautiful grand daughter.

Sorry, sometimes we just need some REGULAR conversation.......or at least THIS caregiver does.

Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4 5
Psue - Your dd (dear daughter) and dgd (dear granddaughter) sound so lovely. Your dd is quite the cook. 5 lbs of calamari would be too much for most people!!!

Ravioli, salad and brownies are great.

I can't really say roasted cabbage and sauteed romaine are similar. I love roasted cabbage - do mine in the oven and it has a great flavour, Sauteed romaine is much more delicate. I cut a romaine heart in half lengthwise and saute' it in a good olive oil in a fry pan till it slightly browns then turn it over and get the other side slightly browned. It's ready in minutes and is very fresh and still a little crisp. Makes a lovely side dish with salmon, or chicken, for example, when you get tired of salads.
(2)

Tonight my darling granddaughter and her mother were here for dinner. Granddaughter doesn’t eat meat…or beans…or anything spicy. Her mother has always been an adventurous eater. She took cultural food appreciation classes in Jr. high and I often found class leftovers that nobody else would eat in the freezer after school, like the day I came home from work to find 5 pounds of calamari! I grew up just south of San Francisco but never developed a taste for fish flavored rubber bands.
Tonight I made sheetpan baked cheese ravioli with spinach and tomato sauce, green salad and brownies for dessert.
Her mom (my daughter) brought veggies from her garden and figs from her tree. Such a treat. We talked about a roasted fig leaf recipe she wants to try. She’s the one with the peanut stew. She keeps me young. I am so grateful.

Golden, sautéed romaine hearts sounds delicious. I love cabbage slices roasted on the Foreman grill. Are they similar?
(4)

Mine was romaine hearts - ended up with 12 of them and had to find ways to use them. That was when I discovered a recipe for sauteed romaine hearts and they were yummy!

I get 5 lbs of carrots too. This last batch was not good - too many with mushy centers.

Tonight's meal was homemade chicken vegetable soup from left over rotisserie chicken. R and I did it together and it was great. I'm making bone broth from the left over bones etc. It's cool here and good soup weather. Nothing like home made soup!!!
(3)

Oh I think that happens to us all, at one time or another. Or heat something up in microwave and forget it.

I actually love carrots, but don't cook them enough. I forget about them
(1)

Checking grocery receipt.
6 pounds
Organic Carrots
From Costco.
$4.71

Next time, I will go to the store and buy what I want.
STEAK. I am picky about that too.

Maybe the organic carrots taste good. We wouldn't know, because we forgot to serve them, sitting there on the counter-then forgetting them overnight.

But, enough about my mistakes of which there are many.
Anybody else forget what they cooked, then overnight it spoils?
(0)

You can stick a paper towel in them to to soak up moisture
(1)

Thanks Cwillie. Maybe I should cut off the ends-those look bad this time.
I will give them a second chance, because the problem is me.

We went to visit MIL a long time back. She was very ill, so we purchased things for chicken noodle soup, including carrots, setting it on the stove to cook. More like a chicken stew than soup.

She came out from her sick bed, and added old carrots to the soup, and cut up the chicken into smaller bites, then invited a neighbor over. He carrots had black lines growing inside the carrot.

I did not eat it, and left to get fast-food.
(1)

A 5 lb bag of carrots is a normal purchase for me, and my last bag were labelled "imperfect" too. I just open the bag so they don't collect too much moisture and shove them in the back of my crisper drawer, they last forever🤷‍♀️
(3)

Peasuep,
Thanks, it is always good to smile.
Funny, I did consider planting the carrots whole, not as compost, but who wants new carrots to grow from horse quality carrots?

But that is a good idea for others that are good at composting.

I see this as more work.

But I am going to look up that old story about Stone Soup. Do not recall it.

Thanks!

P.S. Story was good! Lol.
(1)

Sendhelp, you’ve made me smile on this rainy morning. I’m not sure if that was your intention but thank you. If it happens again you can start some Stone Soup (remember that old story?)
If all else fails, carrots make fine compost especially if you chop them up a little first. After you do that, join us on the Gardening as Therapy discussion!

I have no idea what to make for dinner tonight; I’ve been too busy this week feeding visitors to do a meal plan and pick up groceries. OH WAIT! My dear SIL brought a half dozen fresh eggs when she came for lunch yesterday and I have leftover spinach leaves and bell pepper slices and bacon in the freezer. Breakfast for dinner!
(3)

Five pounds of carrots were substituted by grocery delivery, and not the best quality.
We tried washing, preparing, storing, cooking some, the two of us working at it.
Left about 8 cooked carrots out on a covered plate accidentally, and went to bed tired. Dumped those this morning.

I think these carrots were meant to be fed to horses.

So, not planning any large batch cooking for the rest of this year.

It would be an insult to give them away.

Don't know why this has become so hard.
(0)

Thanks everyone! I've pulled out the old crock pot and plan to try some of the ideas you've given. With winter coming on, I plan to make some of the soups and also like the one pan idea. I used to do that when I was cooking for my young family...not sure why I stopped. Keep the dinner ideas coming! Blessings.
(1)

Pea, The creamsicle salad, is not a mold but it's made with jellylo, then vanilla pudding, cream whip, and mandarin oranges, I usually add a can of pineapple too.

So it went very well at are party, had to people arguing on who is going to take the left overs home. And husband wanted them so I had to make more yesterday, for him.
(1)

Psue - we try to. I believe "Let thy food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food". supposedly said by Hippocrates. One grandson and I love brussels sprouts. R stays very lean though he has a sweet tooth which I try to accommodate with healthy choices. I have to keep my carbs very low.

I have trouble with any salad that isn't mainly green though I know they are popular. Ambrosia, for example, to me is more like a dessert. I want veggies in my salads, with nuts, and seeds, and other such things, even a little fruit like cranberries or strawberries, but I like the main part to be green leafy veggies. Strawberry and spinach salad is great.

Turkey Mole’ soup sounds awesome. I made a Mole' Chili once. It was good. I may try to make the 20 min version of mole' sauce and make the soup.
(1)

Golden, you two eat very well; very healthy. IMHO there is nothing better than a piece of salmon. Also nothing better than Brussels sprouts. I wouldn’t touch them when I was a kid (dear grandma boiled them until they were unrecognizable) but I finally had them, correctly cooked, as a young adult and have been hooked ever since.
I used to love cooking with DH but that doesn’t work so well anymore.

SIL is coming for lunch today so dinner for us will be whatever I can pull together.

Nacy, your creamsicle salad sounds like something my mom used to make. Is it molded? Does it have marshmallows? Jello? Mandarin oranges? I’m getting church potluck vibes! Good memories!

ITRR, best crockpot recipe I’ve made is Turkey Mole’ soup. Ground turkey, green bell peppers, a deep, flavorful mole’ broth. Swoon.
(3)

Psue that sounds awesome, We have had the gas fireplace on a few times but then we are still in northern Alberta, Nothing wrong with pizza and bagged salad. Love "crock'o'slop"!!!🤣

nacy - lots of parties. Enjoy!!!

Last night was pan fried salmon again, this time with a veggie stir fry - bok coy, bell peppers, onions, garlic, ginger, soy sauce and a little sesame oil. R and I cooked together which we should do more often. He did the veggies I did the fish.

Tonight will be roast pork tenderloin. Not sure yet what else. Maybe roasted carrots, brussels sprouts and apple sauce.
(1)

Me too Nacy. I’ve actually got the gas fireplace on for a few minutes this morning to take the chill off even though it’s sunny and will be 75 today.

That means it’s almost slow cooker season! ITRR, I will check out that website too after I go through last winter’s recipes. There were some really good ones and some that were just “meh”.

BTW, the 2 worst meals I’ve ever made have been in the slow cooker. The first one was the first time I had in-laws over; some rolled flank steak thing - SO EMBARRASSING. The second was just hubby and me thank goodness, but we dubbed it ‘crock ‘o slop’ and dumped the whole thing.
(2)

Wow peasuep, I want to come to your lunch!

Ive got a party today, and friends coming over tomorrow. I'm starting to look forward to winter.
(0)

Got a party to go to today, making a potato salad , and a creamsicle salad.

Creamsicle salad is really good and easy to make.
(1)

Lean cuisine pizza and a bagged salad. Sigh. Wiped myself out in the yard today and I’m just too tired.
I will redeem myself on Monday - making lunch for a crowd:
Maple Mustard Pork Tenderloin Sliders with caramelized onions,
Terra Chips, tri-color bell pepper strips, assorted pickled veggies, dried blueberry goat cheese spread with Cosmic crisp apples and fig, pumpkin seed crackers.
Someone else is bringing dessert.

Anyone have a fav slider roll that isn’t Kings Hawaiian?
(1)

ITRR thx - I will check that site out
(1)

Golden, I like everyday cheapskate. com. for slow cooker ideas.

I am going to try her BBQ chicken this weekend, it sounds great and looks easypeasy.
(2)

Absolutely!!!!
(0)

Love peanuts, I think I am going to try it.

Pot roast last night - beef (eye of round) potatoes, carrots, onions, bell peppers, diced tomatoes and seasonings. It was pronounced excellent.

I haven't used a slow cooker in ages and now am wondering why. Must look up some recipes; Does anyone have some faves they want to share? R wants pea soup with a ham bone. That's a fave of mine too. The slow cooker works well for that.
(0)

It all sounds delicious, never had peanut stew before but I'd definitely try it
(1)

Psue, I hope you enjoy it when you have it. Your daughters stew sounds delicious, we love to use peanuts in lots of different dishes. I am going to be researching peanut stew now, yummo!
(1)

My daughter brought by Peanut Stew to serve over rice (white; wish it was black ITRR bc now I’m dying to try it!) It’s got tons of sweet potatoes, kale and whatever herbs are finishing up in her garden. I haven’t had Peanut Stew before but have had a creamy African Peanut soup that was spicy and delicious. This Stew looks great - can’t wait to dig in.
(1)

My daughter brought by Peanut Stew to serve over rice (white; wish it was black ITRR bc now I’m dying to try it!) It’s got tons of sweet potatoes, kale and whatever herbs are finishing up in her garden. I haven’t had Peanut Stew before but have had a creamy African Peanut soup that was spicy and delicious. This Stew looks great - can’t wait to dig in.
(0)

(1)

I highly recommend trying it. It is more of a grain then jasmine, which is our fave white rice,

Takes longer to cook, I'm telling you because I could not find black rice with instructions for cooking and I learned through trial and error. Use the 2to1 ratio and it turns out delish. Plus, it's a super nutritious grain, win-win. Oh, great in cold salads too.
(2)

1 2 3 4 5
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter