Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
You mean you would like another answer besides "I don't remember?". I get asked what I'm serving for dinner, Mom makes me feel like the hired help sometimes but doesn't mean anything by it. Yes, we all need a real conversation at times, it's like staying at home with a newborn and being isolated from the world. We all get very lonely and people don't get our sense of dedication which results in isolation.
(2)

Tonight I gave myself a break! I picked up a rotisserie chicken, opened a can of LaSeur Peas (they are the best) and mixed it with sliced tomatoes and ghee (natural butter) in a pot. That was dinner, and it was easy and good.
(3)

standing alone; h*ll yea, sounds great.
(2)

the paprika chicken; no reason a bag of broc / caulif / carrot, and a cut up potato couldnt have been added near the end. it'd become a one dish meal, less soiled dishes..
(1)

I got stuffed shells (it's called "cheese lasagna) last night from Aldi's. It cost UNDER $3 for 12 lasagna pieces and these are hearty sized pieces! I added their jar sauce which was awesome, and literally fed me, mom, son, daughter, and bf all for under $5. We still have leftovers! I love Aldi's.....
(3)

just a little army vernacular for you SA. lastly, you might as well stick your d**k in it , your going to f it up anyway. lol.
army basic training builds belligerant trogladites . the gentleman training comes later in advanced skill training.
(1)

Finally got around to using the homemade turkey stock I had frozen from after Thanksgiving. I swear that stuff is liquid gold. Made a big batch of chicken noodle soup using a cheat (blasphemy with homemade stock - ha!) which is the Costco Kirkland brand canned white chicken. It beats any other canned chicken and for the convenience it is better than a rotisserie chicken for soup purposes - big chunks of moist breast meat and shelf stable. I love to have it on hand for a quick chicken taco or enchilada too. On to the soup, lots of carrots peeled and cut into chunks as I don't like those fake baby ones. I grow my own in season and those things just aren't anything like a real carrot. Lots of onions and celery and a bay leaf and of course lots of ground black pepper and a clove of garlic and a dash of tumeric to keep those germs at bay. I cheated again on the noodles. Usually make my own spaetzle noodles but had a good sub on hand. They are called Alberto's extra wide egg noodles made in Chisholm, Minnesota. The noodles are thick and toothsome and really absorb the broth. I wanted to sing the Hallelujah chorus as it turned out so good. Goes against my modest nature but I guess I'm going cabin fever crazy with this endless winter and it sure hit the spot!

The wildlife outside, poor babies, got their feeder filled as I do daily and I put out extra peanuts, raisins and the rest of the Chex from Christmas. It's horrible outside. 50 mile an hour winds, sub-zero and white out roads.

Think I'll bake some cookies.....Ahhhhhh!
(4)

I like that canned chicken too, WT. I buy Costco's cheese pizza and add pesto, pineapple, Canadian bacon if I happen to have it on hand, bell pepper slices, olives, and the canned chicken. Have also done pot pies with the canned chicken. I think I might try it in the Thai soup recipe I made this week. That has so many flavors for the chicken to absorb that the canned might work well.

Tonight was a recipe I used to make often in the 70s -- I must have been feeling nostaglic when I made up the week's menu. It was pepper steak and rice, from a Betty Crocker cookbook.

I have my leeks, celery, and watercress chopped for soup tomorrow, plus the dang pasta salad stuff chilling. I can see that it will be a huge amount, so I invited a grandson to pick some up after he's done working tomorrow.
(3)

Over the years, I've used recipes for stuff that I stole from my mom. For some reason, in the last 5 or 6 years (gee? could it be memory playing tricks on me? nahhhhhhhhhhhh *koffs*), the recipes no longer seem to work, so I've been raiding online recipes for stuff. Found this great one for tonight's meatloaf. Half cup each of celery, bell pepper and onion sauteed until tender. Add a cup of good catsup to the veggies. Add a beaten egg and half cup of dried bread crumbs to 1.5 pounds of lean ground beef, then about three fourths of the veggie mixture and salt and pepper to preference. An hour in a 350° oven and then spread the rest of the mixture over the top of the meatloaf and leave in the over for another 5 to 10 minutes, after turning it off. A couple of baked potatoes and a nice salad. Yummmmmm. Can't wait for the sandwiches tomorrow.

Look. I actually cooked!!
(6)

a little oatmeal is good in meat loaf too ladee.. not instant oats tho, they dont retain any texture..
if ya ever get tired of tomato based meals, spaghetti can be made with vegs and white sauce and its every bit as good as tomato base. good place for a cheap can of mushroom bits / stems..
had a tom turkey once ( sid, sid vicious) who was always trying to pick a fight with humans. he caught me in my garage one day and started some s**t. he ended up skinned and incarcerated in the freezer. at christmas time the whole turkey became about a 20 lb pot of turkey spaghetti in white sauce.
to forgive is divine but vengeance is mine. ( alice cooper ) .. lol
had about 4 pigs one time and we slop fed them from grocery dumpsters. one pig would stand and scream for something better even if youd thrown caviar in the trough. one day when pork was running low in the freezer anyway i grabbed the screaming pig by a back leg , yanked her under the fence and stuck my hobo knife in her aorta. the freezer was replenished and peace and quiet was restored.
(1)

that's called turkey tetrazzini, cap, and one of my kid's favourites after roasted turkey. It's a little more of a challenge now with no gluten or dairy, but I manage a decent one. Almonds go well in it too, and a little nutmeg improves any white sauce.

ladee - sounds good. Meat loaf has many variations and is a safe one to try cooking again. I had an aunt in law who was a great cook. Her meat loafs were a symphony of colour and flavour. Unbelievable! I have never managed that, but they are always a good cold weather comfort meal.

I had a frenched pork chop in the hotel restaurant last night, with a spicy apple raisin compote, spaghetti squash, asparagus and a few julienned carrots. Very nice!
(4)

I've recently tried two new crock pot recipes and found both to be delicious!
6-7 Boneless pork chops placed in crock, sprinkle with 2 packages of dry Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix and top with 2 regular sized cans (undiluted) of Campbell's Cream of Chicken soup. Cook on high for about 6 hours or until a gravy has formed and chops are falling apart. Serve with mashed potatoes and a vegetable. Our family loved it! To make less, use half of everything (I.e., 1 packet of dry dressing mix, 1 can of soup)
The second recipe was liked equally as well:
Chuck roast placed in crock, sprinkled with 1 packet of dry ranch dressing and 1 packet of dry au' jus mix. Top with I stick of butter or margarine and add 1/2 cup water. Cook on high 6-8 hours bit until meat is falling apart. Can shred meat with a fork and serve on a roll with some of the au' jus for dipping or over noodles or with a side like mashed potatoes or rice.
(4)

both sound good, ky..
tetrazzini huh? i called it " sid got too big for his britches in what was my hallowed place " . the only person who could get by with molesting me in my own shop was my ex. it was a test and i failed it every time. will he stick with the transmission or go for the dress with no undergarments? played right i could have both. he he
(1)

Leftovers!!
(1)

Captain, for shame! Canned mushrooms? Yes on the white sauce, yes on the veggies. But only FRESH fungi, for heaven's sakes!
(0)

im pretty cheap jeanne. cooking on a budget is a challenge that i enjoy.
like the big cinnamon rolls. im pretty sure those s**ts come in under 20 cents a piece -- possibly less..
i had chicken livers again tonight. theyre cheap and i endorse the h*ll out of em..
(0)

I'm with jeanne on the canned mushrooms, captain. Fresh mushrooms were on sale for $1.50 a package here recently. Had me dreaming of making a homemade cream of mushroom soup. I still might get to it...or just saute' them in a little butter and garlic until they're cooked down and a little meaty. Could make a whole meal out of just those mushrooms.

I'm glad you like the Kirkland canned chicken jeanne. I'm not crazy after all. :) I feel like I'm cheating when I use it, but it's just so consistently good. I love your pizza idea. I'll have to try that. Hawaiian pizzas were my first love, but I am just hooked on the prosciutto, goat cheese, honey and herb combo lately. It calls to me several times a week though I thankfully have been successful at ignoring that cal for the most partl. My waistline thanks me. :)

I had a surprise meal out this evening. My husband came home early from work so we decided to go out for the happy hour deals at a nice restaurant nearby. It was right on a frozen lake so it was fun to watch all the snowmobiles zoom past. People were also in the process of removing their fish houses off the lake. What was a village of a few hundred fish houses is now down to about 50. For those in warmer climes, it really is quite amazing. There a plowed roads out to the center of the lake and you can drive your car out there and hang out. Think 'Grumpy Old Men.'

It was really quite entertaining but the food was kind of meh except for my husband's fish and chips for six bucks. Our son ordered the buffalo wings for five dollars and got exactly five wing pieces, not even celery. I had a margherita flatbread that was about 5" x 5" for the same. Half a roma tomato, four thimbles of cheese and a tiny amount of basil. *sigh* This place used to be great but I guess everyone is cutting back. So much for a night out.

Now I have to dig through the fridge to make a second meal. Glad I have that Kirkland chicken on hand. Quesadillas for the hungry teenager is the plan.
(2)

WT, this is off-topic of our off-topic thread, but your description of the ice houses reminds me of a story my cousin tells. He is a land surveyor in a resort town in northern Minnesota. Holiday Inn bought land there and hired my cousin to work with their architect, who came up from their headquarters in Atlanta. The two men met at the site, in January, and then had lunch to discuss it. The architect said, "I know those marketing types study sites a lot before they pick one, and they know what they are doing. But this is the strangest location I've ever seen for a hotel." My cousin was surprised. "It is right off the main highway, it is a short, easy drive to the main tourist attractions, and it overlooks a lovely lake. What do you consider strange about it?" The guy from Atlanta was uncomfortable. "Well, we don't usually build in the seedy parts of town. Half the guests will be looking out on that shanty town. Most of those houses look pretty run down, and even the best looking ones are so small! And you can't even see the lake from there." My cousin looked at him blankly. Then he caught on and laughed his head off. "I assure you the guests will consider the 'shanty-town' quaint. Those are ice-fishing houses, and they are sitting on the lake. They'll all be removed in a month or so, and then the fishers will be in boats."

The marketing folks were right. That is a successful Holiday Inn. :D
(5)

sorry, Jeannie .. can not *stand* fresh mushrooms .. gimme canned/processed any time (and it's the only canned vegetable I'll say that about, otherwise it's fresh or frozen; and I don't include tomatoes, since they're really a fruit, and I'll do canned fruit as long as it's in juices, not syrup.)
(0)

Jeanne, great story about your cousin. Seedy part of town - ha! It does give one pause to realize about the sheer vastness of America. That's why I elaborated about the ice fishing culture as some may not realize how crazy living in this climate can be. I veer OT all the time. That's half the fun!

To bring it back, my son settled for spicy Pork Rinds by choice. We're a healthy family! :P

LadeeC, have you ever cooked fresh mushrooms down past the liquid they give out? I takes quite awhile slow and low, 20 minutes plus in butter. They're a whole different fungi than eating them raw.
(2)

Windy .. I don't have that much patience, lol. And I think it's something about the way canned/bottled mushrooms are brined.
(0)

Tonight was watercress soup that I learned to make at a recent cooking class. Captain, this is not for you! It had $6 in watercress and $5 in leeks, plus potatoes, celery, broth, and cream. Not a thrifty recipe! But, oh my, it was heavenly. It is supposed to be pureed with an immersion blender and I don't have one. I made such a horrific mess in the regular blender that I am now in the market for an immersion blender. Anyone have a recommended brand? Leeks and watercress are currently touted as "superfoods" and this is one health food soup I can get behind!

I also made a chicken salad (with rotisserie chicken) with celery and grapes and walnuts and other goodies. Since no one here especially likes mayonnaise I substituted Greek yogurt and we all thought it was wonderful. The dressing also included honey and Country Dijon mustard. Great stuff!
(2)

By the way, the chicken salad had penne pasta. I use Dreamfield brand. Anyone cooking for someone with diabetes should give it a try! It is more expensive so you might not want to use it if there is no diabetic in the household, but it tastes just like regular pasta!
(1)

Jeanne~My hubby is diabetic. I have thought about using Dreamfield but the reviews on it are very mixed. Do you find that the carbs are blocked or slowly released...thinking of using it for spaghetti with a meat sauce and lots of veggies.
(1)

Good question, sharynmarie. I've been using it for years and only checked it out when I first started. At that time it had the approval of my Certified Diabetic Educator, it seemed a big improvement over regular pasta when I took my own blood sugar measurements, on a diabetes web site a few people who were very meticulous about taking their blood sugar levels said it was much better for them, and there was not much other information available.

Since your question I've looked it up and find that its value is controversial. I think I will test myself again with this product a few times.

The studies I happened upon that showed no improvement were made with NON-DIABETIC subjects. I'm not impressed. I don't really care if the other people in my household metabolize just as they would other pasta -- I only care that it is an improvement for my faulty metabolism. So I'd like to see some other studies.

Also I know from experience and discussion boards, what works for one person doesn't for others. My CDE thought switching to steel-cut oats would reduce the carb spike from oatmeal for me. Ha! My body said "You think this is complex? Ha! I'll turn it into glucose in no time flat." And it did. Sigh. So I have no doubt that Dreamfields wouldn't work for everyone. I'd really be interested in additional studies to see if it really works for anyone.

Meanwhile, if you want to try it, be sure not to overcook it. Perhaps have hubby track his sugars every hour after eating it. Then repeat the meal (not necessarily the next day!) with regular pasta. Make sure everything else is the same -- same beverage, same veggies, same sides, etc. Do you find a difference? You'd probably have to repeat this more than once, since other things going on (stress levels, exercise, etc.) could impact the readings.

If this product helps some diabetics eat pasta sometimes without causing blood sugar highs, it is great stuff -- for some people. If it turns out it doesn't really help anybody, then I'd call it a fraud. I don't think the jury is in -- at least not from the articles I've seen -- so if your hubby likes pasta well enough to do his own trials, it might be worthwhile.

Thanks for bringing this up. I'll be more cautious about recommending it from now on.
(2)

Jeanne~I also read that using a tomato based sauce increases the carbs by 18 gm. I guess I will continue to work on finding a beef sauce with tomato taste but not overwhelmingly tomato. Thank you for the info. Blessings to you!!
(1)

I remember the first time I ate my very first fresh mushroom (not canned.) It was at a restaurant. I ordered Swiss Mushroom burger. My family thought it was so funny to watch me try to eat it. I opened my mouth and couldn't get the top to the bottom of the burger. I tried sideways, etc... In the end, I had to nibble bites off the burger. I ate the mushroom and ... it tasted "funny." I kept chewing and chewing trying to understand the taste. It was like ... musky? I just remembered telling sis that the mushrooms were so fresh, I can taste the ground it grew in. I decided that I didn't care for fresh mushrooms. I'll take canned ones any time.
(2)

" americas vast - ness "
on a flight from atlanta to indy once we were allowed to sit anywhere we wanted since the plane wasnt full up. i found a window seat up front and figured id see some usa. it was solid forest and farmland for hours with only an occasional town and even less occasional city. it surprised me as id been under the impression that each major city sprawled into the next. i love europe but the usa has afforded me the cheap land and materials to build 2 houses in my lifetime. couldnt do that in europe, in fact youd live in at least a duplex, if not an apartment complex. i think america will always be an innovation powerhouse because of our lack of red tape. if you want to build a product here and need a factory, get the permits and hire a bull dozer. its almost that simple.. central indiana fields are loaded with wind turbines. slouchers , were not.
(2)

These answers are giving me more ideas, now. There are things people are mentioning that I haven't made in a long time. Chicken paprikash is one. But, we're living it up, now, even ordering fancy Paczki for Fat Tuesday, because the day after, Mom (meaning, all of us) starts her one-week low-iodine diet.

It says she can have home-baked cookies, but then you can't use chocolate, molasses or dried fruit, so I have to think about this. I was going to bake her oatmeal cookies but I like to add things to them. So far, have figured I can add nuts, but would like to come up with something else to add and something we'd actually eat (that leaves out carob chips, which none of us will eat).
(2)

Geo, you can all get by with oatmeal cookies with only nuts for one week! :) Put in macadamias and pecans and walnuts and be happy!
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter