Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Try just soaking them in water - the longer they soak the more "heat" comes out -10 to 15 mins. works fine for me. Love Greek salad, but can't eat the feta. Did he use black olives too? Add English cukes and black olives! Yum!
(1)

Made crazy choc cake. G was called away to an obligatory meeting on his way out the door to the horses. Figured he could use a treat when he returns to pick up his horse gear . A regular wacky-type cake - no eggs - but I blended several mandarins (didn't have oranges though I prefer them - more intense flavour) and some raisins, and added spices. It was a little heavy on the ground cloves as the lid fell off the bottle but it worked. I don't measure the spices just dump some in. You have to add some pepper and cayenne as well which leaves it with a little heat. Then I made a fluffy cinnamon chocolate frosting to go with it. I will serve it with some sliced strawberries. He can add ice cream or whipped cream if he wants to - may as well splurge!
(3)

i made twice as many chicken livers as i would eat and like clockwork jake came by and wacked the extras for me.
(1)

Emjo, my friend taught me to use a little powdered expresso or one of those starbucks instant coffee (single serve) packs in anything you bake chocolate like brownies or choc, cake. It really brings out the chocolate flavor.
(3)

norest - that sounds good!!! Unfortunately G does not tolerate caffeine. Maybe instant decaf?
(1)

It was my parents 61st anniversay yesterday, but I had to work. So tonight we had steak, potatoes and roasted asparagus.. lots of love here!
(3)

Had a treat from Edna's family members who took her out to lunch at Red Lobster: garlic skewered shrimp and scampi style scallops with really good steamed broccoli, served on wild/herb pilaf. I just love their cheesy biscuits, but can only tolerate one (otherwise too salty for my own good, and cheese is off my can-do lists, as with most dairy products. Being allergic to whey is a royal pain, I gotta tell ya).

Yum. And tomorrow I start my four day holiday in a hotel room with no means of cooking anything. It'll be interesting to see what I come up with that 1) doesn't need refrigeration or some kind of cooking.
(2)

ladeec I am allergic to dairy and gluten. It makes life challenging. I will be interested to know what you come up with. I bring those little cans of tune, sardines, fruit bars, fruit, nuts, cookies/crackers, even veggies. Most hotels have a minifrig. I have a decent breakfast in the hotel, take some fruit and peanut butter from the breakfast buffet - that does for lunch, then the other stuff for supper. I find a grocery store nearby. Good luck!
(2)

someone besides myself likes sardines? emjo, the older dollar stores sell a can of sardines the size of a saucer for a couple of bucks.. big azz can iz what im sayin..
(2)

Love sardines, cap. My Norwegian heritage. They are great nutritional value for a few bucks. I am a herring eater. Love picked herring! I pickled some northern pike Gary caught - pretty tasty.
(1)

Lessee .. this is what I'm taking with:

Two cans of soup that I an tolerate cold (tomato and something else my tired brain can't think of)
A nice fresh fruit cocktail (basically pre-cut chunks, yum) and bananas
Some lovely mexican pastries
cold cuts and premixed salady stuff for sandwiches
Imitation crab meat (yeah .. bad for me, but I love it)
Snacks (because I'm also a hedonist)
Hummus and veggie crackers

They don't serve breakfast at this place, but I'll order one room service that'll give me leftovers. Headin' out in a few hours. Yay!!
(2)

Have a great time!!! Room service is a good idea. Sounds like you will do OK.
(0)

ya like them blindass cave catfish emjo. i have pretty good luck catching them. i put a rock in a tubesock, bap!!.. theyre blind remember?
(1)

meh, im having chicken livers. i like em..
(1)

Mmmmm...chicken livers... YUM! :D

Meh, I don't know what I'm doing for dinner. I'm not in the least bit hungry atm and it's 7 p.m. I had a sandwich earlier and don't really want anything or feel like cooking tonight. My boys are on their own. lol They both know how to cook. I'll probably just do a small salad later on.
(1)

Meijer had fresh asparagus for a good price yesterday, so I sauteed my bunch for dinner this evening. That was the main course, with a bit of left over lasagna casserole as a side. Sure am glad that I discovered (as an adult) that asparagus was more than that awful canned mushy stuff I refused to eat as a child! Maybe I should plant some. Anyone growing asparagus?
(2)

I tried to grow asparagus once. It takes a few years in this part of the country to get going. Or, I really did something wrong! Sold that house and moved before there was any sort of crop. Maybe next owner was able to enjoy it if they didn't pull it out thinking it was a weed
(1)

Dad grows asparagus, do have to wait 2 years to harvest, but its perennial then. We used to have some that grew wild in the fence rows at my grandads farm in north Oklahoma, had to hunt for it but it was good if rather smaller than the commercial ( no one to weed, feed and pamper it). I got to go hunt it out in the spring like I did the Poke and Lambsquarter for mom to cook into greens...
(1)

i helped a customer cut her lawn once and mowed down her snap peas. i wouldnt know a snap pea from a plywood tree..
(2)

DINNER ?
im thinking that gal who inspected ednas used chair before we brought it in this evening.
he he, gimmee a break, im a warpy guy..
(1)

lastresort, I remember picking wild asparagus in the ditch off dirt roads in South Dakota. My dad discovered it out on his run one morning. The people in the new housing development bordering the road wondered what the heck we were picking. That's a fond memory of mine. Thanks for 'jogging' it up for me. :) Asparagus just tastes like spring!
(2)

Made fresh cheddar and bacon burgers on the grill tonight with an extra slice of sharp cheddar melted on top. Lots of sliced white onion and fresh jalapenos served on a buttered and toasted bun. We had a big salad of greens on the side. It sure hit the spot. Was going to snooze after watching Bates Motel (the TV series) but am screwed up with the time change. It just doesn't feel right going to bed that early.....
(2)

Sauteed scallops, mushrooms and brussel sprouts. The sprouts are not the ideal veg with scallops but it was fast and easy and OK. Saving the choc cake till G returns home. With the ground up orange and raisins it stays moist and the flavour develops,
(2)

I've cycled back to the first post on this thread, Feb 5, and made green chili stew in the crock pot. When I find a new recipe we like I try to repeat it within a few weeks, to help ensure it gets into the menu repertoire. Put bacon into my corn meal muffins this time.
(1)

Anyone have a recipe for ebelskivers?
(0)

a freakin pancake requires as much energy to fry as the energy derived from it. screw it, im eating firewood bark tonight. the sassafrass aint bad steeped in neighbors dog stock. ( one down, one to go ) .
(0)

CACK, M - F. that little one aint gonna be a big deal for long. hes small, im hungry..
(0)

oh dont act shocked, ladies. you know d*** well that im planning to eat the renters too when s**t gets ugly enough.. that overweight hor is a history lesson. the old mans name is burley, as in burley tobacco in va 100 yrs ago. hes pretty cool, were probly gonna eat the bi**h daughter tho.. we both just " feel it coming.." were steely eyed realists..
(0)

I know there is a recipe but I couldn't find it tonight so I had to improvise with dinner. I took chicken breasts and cut them in half, washed and dried them then wrapped half slice of bacon around each one before putting them in glass pan that had been sprayed to prevent sticking. Baked for 45 min at 350 degrees and it was very good! Added mashed potatoes, broccoli and salad all done....and no one but Mom and I showed up!!! Well at least I tried!!
(0)

Here ya go, ba8alou:

Standard Ebleskiver
(A Danish Spherical Pancake)

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

4 egg yolks
1 Tablespoon sugar

1/4 cup olive oil or vegetable oil

2 scant cups milk

4 egg whites (preferable at room temperature)

thin slices of apple (or a few blueberries or chocolate chips)

butter for greasing the pan

Note: This requires an Ebleskiver pan -- a frying pan with several little rounded cups. This is what you do with it, in case you run across one at a garage sale, without directions.

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat yolks. Add sugar. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk. Add melted shortening, mixing well.

In separate bowl beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into batter.

Place pan on medium heat of stove. Heat until the pan is hot enough so that a small amount of water sprinkled on the surface will sizzle. Place a small dab (less than 1/2 teaspoon) of butter in each cup. Fill each cup about 2/3 full of batter. Let cook until edges appear brown and center is bubbly. Insert a slice of apple or other filling into each.

When bubbly, turn each Ebleskiver over in the cup, using a fork -- small pickle fork works well -- or wooden skewer. Continue cooking, turning a few times more. Test with toothpick. Keep warm in low-temperature oven, uncovered, while you cook the rest.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve with butter, syrup, jam, sour cream, etc.

Source: Saw demonstrated at Festival of Nations, 1983. Recipe came with NordicWare pan.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter