Follow

I'm reading on here that people are asking what they should be paid to take care of their aging or ill parents.
Am I NUTS to think that it's our responsibility to take care of our parents and family?
I more than gladly took care of my Mom when she was sick and dying, my Brother when he was sick and my husband when he was sick and dying. I hated that I had to, but I did it because I loved them all. My brother is fine. But now I no longer have my Mom and my Husband.
I would gladly do it all over. I wouldn't ask for a red cent to care for any of them or anyone else I care about.
It's supposed to be my Christian duty. But that's just my belief...
I guess im just crazy. ?? ..
But is that the way it's done now? We are supposed to charge our family to care for them???
If so.. what has this world come to?

Find Care & Housing
Yes. Yes you are.
(2)

I hope FloridaTentLady doesn’t live in a “ tent “ because she lost her income and her home due to caregiving .
(5)

I'd like to hear back from FloridaTentLady.

It should be evident now that grown children not helping their aging parents & other relatives is not a one-size-fits-all.

That judging someone asking how to get paid is short-sighted. Caregivers are people & people need money to live on.

It's not a widespread rotten generation, full of self-centered people without morals.

(Sure there are those types in the world. Some I personally encountered a few. Multiple versions of the 'Entitled', the 'House Hungry' &/or 'Inheritance Driven' familes. Prioritising keeping property or money over selling & spending it towards the elder's care).

It is a good discussion.. What we think we SHOULD do, what we WANT to do can be very different to what we CAN do. This is what can cause us pain.

I have met many people who dearly WANT to wrap their old Mom, Dad, Aunt, whoever up & take them home to care for but just could not. Due to many factors: care needs being too high, medical issues too complex, exit seeking & other behavious of concern, more hands needed.
Funds not there to hire extra help.

I've said it before.. life is not 'The Waltons' for most of us.
Not every elder is sitting smiling on the porch swing. Still independant with their ADLs (even still providing useful labour to the household). Allowing working age adults to freely work.

I am done here now.
(7)

Yes you are nuts to think that. Sure I do believe we should help out our parents when we can....provided they were a decent, non-abusive parent. That does not mean jeopardizing our futures and upending our lives so their life does not have to change. The person needing the help must be the one to compromise.

How did you manage caring for your parents without an income? Was someone else supporting you? Trust fund? Not everyone has that.
(5)

I am a single mom of twins. If I allowed it, my father and stepmother would take every ounce of energy and time I have in an attempt to not go into AL, where they belong.

My responsibility is to my children. If I lost my job while taking care of my father, my 10-year-old girls would not have a home. There is no second income to safeguard us. It's just me.

My father can get full residential care at the VA for no cost but refuses it. I will not put my children in a compromising position because of their selfishness. I am also done fighting them. Eventually, the hospital will refuse to release him home, as he has been there 3 times in the last 6 weeks (him and his wife just keep checking each other out)

Most people can't live without a paycheck. Having a job is called being responsible
(16)

Margaret, to your point about "personally know" someone or be present at a historical occurence in order for it to be true/trustworthy: then no historical writer/writings can be trusted unless they were there in person and knew the historical figure personally or were an actual eye witness? Your viewpoint needs to be equally applied to all things, not just scripture. No school textbook would pass this criteria. Let's PM to continue this interesting discussion.
(1)

Jada, they shouldn’t expect it. They should, instead, work hard and plan for their own future. I know that’s really difficult, especially in today’s world, but it is every parent’s responsibility….maybe their ONLY responsibility.
After all, a parent’s most important job is to make sure their children are equipped for a self-sustaining life in order to secure the future of their descendants. I honestly don’t know where humans went off track with that but the consequences are devastating.
(3)

20 years ago my grandfather needed caregiving……he had 3 daughters & 1 son. Not one of them offered to be his caregiver so why should any of them expect caregiving for themselves now when they would like to stay in their own home.

I’m sure he would’ve like to stay in his home too but he made the best of it and actually enjoyed being around people his own age.
(4)

Geaton, it’s worth considering what is ‘Biblical’. The New Testament book ‘Timothy’ consists of letters from Timothy, who was a servant companion to Paul (and had the DIY circumcision). It was written over 20 years after Jesus died, by someone who had never met him. You need a lot of faith in 'inspiration' to treat this as the word of God.

The ‘Jefferson Bible’ was put together by Thomas Jefferson to collect all the quotes from Jesus himself – even though those, recollected at least 2 decades later, may be inaccurate. It’s a lot shorter than the New Testament, of which almost half is written by Paul.
(1)

Since people are debating whether caregiving for their parents is biblically commanded or not:

1 Timothy 5:8 (The Message version)

"Take care of widows who are destitute. If a widow has family members to take care of her, let them learn that religion begins at their own doorstep and that they should pay back with gratitude some of what they have received. This pleases God immensely. You can tell a legitimate widow by the way she has put all her hope in God, praying to him constantly for the needs of others as well as her own. But a widow who exploits people’s emotions and pocketbooks—well, there’s nothing to her. Tell these things to the people so that they will do the right thing in their extended family. Anyone who neglects to care for family members in need repudiates the faith. That’s worse than refusing to believe in the first place."

People need to decide for themselves what they will do. Also, this doesn't apply to non-believers, since it is in the New Testament and written to believers.
(2)

My parents required a care team. The medical situations you were dealing with must not have required 24/7 care, with issues like wandering with dementia. Or transfers. And so on.

And there must have been inheritance after the caregiving.

My own mother traded her time to mother her own kids and truly the best years of her life to care for mean, tyrannical parents. Good parents don’t do that. She was a good woman. But she did way too much. No boundaries.

If the care load is light and your relationship good, and money isn’t an issue, you are lucky and more power to you.
(6)

@Beatty

Well said. The relatives and aging parents have other care options. Your children do not. People should think of this in the beginnings of a family care situation.
(2)

You must be lucky not to need to work to earn a living.

I had to choose HOW I cared for my family.

Providing care for a relative with disabilty, so they could save themself paying higher weekend rated for aides VS Go to work myself to earn weekend rates, so I could afford to put footwear & school uniforms on my children.

My relative had other options.
My aging folks had other options.
My children did not.
(6)

I do not think you are crazy , so to say, but I definitely think you are a crazy-maker!
(0)

Burnt I loved that. What a great explanation.you be the best person you can be and that way you honor your parents. That really makes sense. Especially when the bible says that a man leaves his mother and cleaves to his wife.
(2)

@MargaretMcKen

It's interesting that many Christian people are taught that 'honoring the father and mother' means becoming slaves to them and literally excusing and even enabling them to be abusive without ever fighting back or saying 'no'. I was conditioned to this for many years by Catholicism.

When I left that for the Jewish faith and way of life, I learned that the 'honoring the father and mother' has another interpretation. That interpretation is that when a person leaves their parents' house (as in they're grown and making their own life) that they live a good and respectable life. A life that honors their parents (who were supposed to do the same) and their name.

No part of that is give up everything and become a care martyr to parents' endless neediness in old age. It's honoring parents to place them in care if they need it.
(9)

I loved the movie "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner". Somewhat ahead of the time but so many great messages and stellar acting.
(2)

I gotta say I've enjoyed reading these replies so much!
(1)

I wonder if the ‘Christian duty’ people ever read the New Testament, and consider the respect shown by Jesus to Joseph (stepfather who took on a pregnant young wife, even with lots of documented gossip eg rape by a Roman soldier) and Mary (rarely referred as being cared for by Jesus in the New Testament, more like support the other way at the foot of the cross). For that matter, there is zilch about ‘Christian duty’ to parents by Moses in the old Testament. “Honor” probably means ‘don’t rubbish them in public’.

Come on, if you are a Christian, how about you read the Bible, and think about it?
(2)

Just don't give the kid that kind of responsibility when he/she is fresh out of high school or college. Otherwise, you can forget about having a child-in-law and grandkids.

And if your kid is stuck with caregiving on a long-term basis, he/she will be working until the day of his/her funeral to make up for the income that he/she lost out on because of caregiving. Btw, if the kid had to drop out of the workforce because of caregiving and if it's much longer than desired or expected, he/she will have a tough time getting back into the workforce because of the long caregiver gap.

My mom told me a couple of years ago that I would get the biggest mansion in Heaven one day. If she keeps working me to death, I'll be getting that place in Heaven a lot sooner than she thinks.
(2)

The memory care unit recently called me because there was an incident with Mom refusing to allow them to change her "fully loaded" diaper and it took THREE CNAs to get her changed, and she kicked at them and broke the beautiful orchid I brought her and tended to carefully on my many visits. The last time I visited she cussed me out as I was doing her nails. She was always an extremely difficult woman and we never had a good relationship. Yes you're nuts and judgemental as well.
(8)

Florida, clearly you are a saint.

You should be very grateful that you did not have others who depended on your income for their food, clothing, shelter, medical insurance, etc. as you were caring for your ill and dying family members.

Please don’t look down on people who are caught in the middle of taking care of their parents and their own children.
(11)

It is estimated that there are several millions(6 mil if I am correct) of unpaid caregivers ( 70% or higher females age 30-50 or older) who perform work worth billions of dollars. Don’t remember exact number but it is staggering.
Those women will work 10-20 years as caregivers as many progressive diseases last that long.
Sure they improve parents quality of life.
How do they improve their own quality of life?
They give up good jobs, careers, potential advances and opportunities for retirement funds.
I feel we are going backwards as even if they rely on their husbands to support them, there will be some who would feel economic hardship.
IMO every woman should strive for equality and independence.
I worked as a young person for group home taking care of 6 mentally and physically disabled adults.
It was well paid job, 5-9pm and some weekends, most employees were part- time students.
But it was not long term job and most did it 3-4 years.
6 residents and 3 staff on each shift and housekeeper. Not 24/7 for decades often alone or with little help.
(6)

Why do feel a need to come onto this forum to sing your own praises about being a family caregiver? Why are you asking a bunch of strangers if we think you're "NUTS" (your word not mine) because you felt it was your responsibility to take care of your mother, brother, and husband for free? Clearly you already have an answer to this question.

I think you're only asking your "question" here because you want to feel superior to the members of this group who placed 'loved ones' or who had terrible experiences caring for aging parents of spouses.

Sorry, but no one is going to place palms under your feet here. Look for praise elsewhere and don't be so judgmental.

You're not better than someone who places a family member in Long Term Care because you made a different choice. You're also not better because you "wouldn't ask for a red cent". Nothing wrong with getting paid. Caregiving regardless of who it's for is a job and it's hard work. I should know I did is as employment for 25 years. Why shouldn't a person get something for their labor? Should a family caregiver do it for free so the family members who help with all of nothing can get a bigger inheritance when the caregiving over?

I think it's absolutely disgusting when adult children are forced to promise not to put mom or dad in a"home". It's equally as disgusting when adult children make an elderly parent promise not to put the other in one. No one who really loves their family asks this of them. A person who truly loves and respects their family ever wants them to drive themselves into the dirt in order to become a care slave to their bottomless pit of neediness. Would you want one of your kids to give up their lives, jobs, homes, marriages, families, friends and everything else and end up alone in the street because taking care of you at home was a 24/7 - 365 day a year zero paying job?

I'm pretty sure you're not saying yes, my friend.
(13)

Atheist here, so no religious obligation. I am an only child.

Mother with dementia needed care 24/7. So did my 3 children.

Please explain how I was supposed to earn a living AND care for my mother 24/7 AND raise my 3 children. If you have no children of your own, I’m certain other parents will back me when I say that raising children is 24/7 some days. Before you suggest that my husband work umpteen jobs, I’d like to add that my first husband died at age 33. (I am fortunate to have since remarried)

I’d really appreciate an answer because too many people have proclaimed such judgemental views as your own without a practical solution. And NO, putting my children up for adoption was NEVER an option. I love my children, and they love me.

Please explain how you would have managed.

Christianity used to include empathy. What has this world come to?
(13)

In the classic movie Guess Who's Coming to Dinner there is a scene where the father of Sidney Poitier's character berates him and tells him how much he and his wife had sacrificed for him, this was the reply
"Let me tell you something. I owe you nothing! If you carried that bag a million miles, you did what you were supposed to do because you brought me into this world, and from that day you owed me everything you could ever do for me, like I will owe my son if I ever have another. But you don't own me! You can't tell me when or where I'm out of line, or try to get me to live my life according to your rules."
(13)

Yes, I believe you are a bit "crazy" for believing that a child should care for their parents.
I am Christian as well and NOWHERE in the Bible does it say that children must take on the care of their parents as they age. It does say to "honor your father and mother, so that it will go well with you" but honoring and caring for are 2 totally different things.
And it honestly doesn't say that it's our "Christian duty" either to take on the care of anyone we care about. That is a personal choice we make, and unless someone has walked in our shoes they have no right to judge what we do or don't do.
Now I do however have an issue when a spouse wants to be paid to take care of their spouse, as most of us when taking our vows said in sickness and health till death do us part, so to me that is a given that one will take care of the other out of love and not financial gain.
I took care of my late husband for 24 1/2 years of our 26 year marriage and the thought never crossed my mind that I needed to be paid for doing my wifely duties. That to me is absurd.
But on the flip side of that are the adult children that for whatever reason think they need to give up their good paying jobs to move in and care for their aging parent, and now find themselves without money and struggling to survive.
These children are not married to their parents, and no commitments/vows were made like the in sickness and in health, till death do us part, so often because of their ignorance of not thinking the whole situation through before giving up their jobs and lives, they do seek to be paid in some way to perhaps be able to put gas in their car and buy a few groceries.
And if that is the case then I really can't fault them for wanting to be paid, as that is the least a parent can do if a child has given up their life for them.
Which as a parent and grandparent I must say that I would NEVER, as in NEVER want my children or grandchildren taking on my care unless it's just a few days perhaps after a surgery. Otherwise I have told both of my children that they will never do for me what I had to do for my late husband, and yes I have that in writing.
Our children deserve to have their own lives without the stress of caregiving. And since you yourself have been a caregiver for several family members now, you already know that it is the hardest job there is, hands down.
I don't wish that on the ones I love the very most.
It is a personal choice for each of us to make as we take this journey of life, but like I said already, unless you have walked in someone else's shoes, you have absolutely no right to judge.
(8)

FloridaTentLady, welcome to the forum.

I remember an article written in Forbes, decade ago, saying that if one gives up their paying job for caregiving, that over the years that person would lose $250,000 to $350,000 in earnings. Earnings included not only salary, but lost of social security and medicare deductions...

lost of health insurance paid by the company... lost of matched 401(k) made by the company.... lost vacation pay... lost sick day pay... lost of company sponsored life insurance... lost of paid education, etc.

I realize not all businesses offer this, mainly large corporations. And it is usually the woman, who had broken through glass ceilings, who is called into caregiving. And once the caregiving is oven, that person cannot find new employment due to physical and mental exhaustion of caregiving.

FloridaTentLady, I don't know how you did all that caregiving on your own. I wasn't hand-ons with my parents, just logistical because I wasn't caregiver material. And even that was unbelievable stressful.
(5)

Very often people can not afford to quit their jobs to take care of a parent for free .

Caregiving is a job , if someone quits their previous job to take care of a parent , they should be paid by the parent if possible . There are also some programs where they can be paid , varies by state .
But often that does not totally replace the lost income of the caregiver quitting their previous job .

The caregiver needs to have money to support themselves currently , as well as save for their own retirement .

I only worked part time and took care of my parents for over a decade . My parents refused to pay for or have strangers come in their home . I regret it . It severely reduced my income and retirement savings . I should have asked my parents to pay me what they weren’t willing to have a stranger come to the house and do for them . Why should my finances have suffered when they could afford to pay?

Yes , this is how it is these days . It’s not the 1950’s where one salary could support a household including a spouse , elders and potentially minors still at home .
(8)

Why isn't it parents' Christian duty to make sure that they have provided for their own eldercare so that their adult children and grandchildren don't lose their jobs, their savings, their friendships, their retirement years, their schooling, their homes, and the joy in their lives because they are EXPECTED to provide years and years of debilitating care for their parents who didn't plan?

Verily unto WHOM did anyone say what about that?
(7)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter